Comtech Telecommunications Corp. Announces COMET - The World’s Smallest Over-The-Horizon Microwave Terminal and Receives Initial Order for the U.S. Special Operations Command
COMET, which stands for
The Comtech COMET is a medium range (up to 60 km), high bandwidth (up to 210Mb/s), communications terminal that fills a void in distances that have long been desired by tactical communications planners. It uniquely addresses the SOCOM community’s concern of low probability of intercept and low probability of detection (“LPI/LPD”), while providing high reliability, mission essential communications. The key attributes of the Comtech COMET are:
- Easily transported in two airline checkable cases.
- Rapidly setup by one person in less than 15 minutes.
- Operates in the 4.4 to 5.0 GHz. Band.
- Extremely low prime power requirements (< 120 Watts) enable operations from a vehicle, battery, or solar with battery backup.
Antenna and Low Transmit Powersatisfying Low Probability of Intercept (“LPI”) and Low Probability of Detect (“LPD”) requirements.
- Operates on the ground with a minimal equipment footprint, unlike Line of Sight (“LOS”) microwave radios which often require a mast or tower.
- Offers high data rate communications over obstructed paths due to man-made objects, trees, or terrain; critical when erecting a tower/mast for traditional LOS which may not be feasible due to location, cost, or time.
The foundation of the Comtech COMET is the CS67PLUS Troposcatter Radio, the first software-defined adaptive troposcatter radio packaged in a compact IP66 sealed module, capable of all-weather operations in harsh climates. The radio is MIL-STD 461 EMI compliant and MIL-STD 810G environmentally compliant. The radio uses diversity combining receivers to detect and recover signals below -100dBm in a Rayleigh fading environment. Other key features include Adaptive Code Modulation (“ACM”) and Automatic Link Power Control (“ALPC”) to further reduce RF signature and enhance throughput. Given that the CS67PLUS is frequency agile between 1.8GHz and 6GHz, the Comtech COMET can be adapted for use in frequency bands within this range.
Certain information in this press release contains statements that are forward-looking in nature and involve certain significant risks and uncertainties. Actual results could differ materially from such forward-looking information. The Company's