Comtech Telecommunications Receives $1 Million Contract for Digital Over-The-Horizon Microwave System
- To Improve Inter-Island Communications
- Another $2 Million Expected This Year
MELVILLE, NY - September 28, 1999 - Comtech Telecommunications Corp. (Nasdaq: CMTL) today announced that it has received a contract valued at more than $1 million to provide a digital over-the-horizon microwave system for use in the inter-island communications of a Caribbean nation .
The contract marks the start of a multi-phase project in which the company's Florida Comtech Systems Inc. subsidiary will provide two 2GHz, quadruple diversity troposcatter radios equipped with advanced S-575 digital adaptive troposcatter modems to Nortel Networks Corporation, which is based in Canada and is a leading supplier of telephony, IP- based data, wireline and wireless networking.
Comtech will also supply:
- Solid-state high-power amplifiers.
- Its unique automatic transmitter power control equipment, which prevents interference with other communications systems.
- Link quality monitoring equipment.
- The Comtech system will provide 8 MBS of digital transmission capacity to support voice and data traffic between islands as part of the user country's telephone system. Delivery and installation are scheduled for next month.
Fred Kornberg, Comtech's president and chief executive officer, said the contract is significant because it will provide a critical communications link to support a new digital cellular network.
The project's second phase will include the digital upgrade of two existing analog over-the-horizon links. Comtech expects an additional $2 million in funding for its part of the project before the end of this year.
Ms. Allesandra Desantillana, a Nortel Networks spokesperson, said Comtech was chosen for the project because it is the world leader in digital over-the-horizon microwave systems and field-proven digital adaptive modems.
Comtech Telecommunications, Corp., through its operating units, is a broad-based supplier of packet data communications services, state-of-the-art solid state high power amplifiers and high technology satellite and over-the-horizon microwave telecommunication products and systems for commercial and government applications.
Close window | Back to top